A few months ago I was searching for something fun to do with these beets I had gotten at the grocery store. Nothing seem appetizing until I found this recipe. It hit the spot and was so good and filling.
This is a lot of spices so take a deep breath put on some amazing music and enjoy your time in the kitchen. Cutting things and preparing your spices for the recipe is a part of the fun.
- Baking Pan
- Mixing bowl
- Cooking Spoon
- high-speed blender
- Dutch Oven
Tandoori Masala Ingredients
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil or sub grape seed oil
- 3 TBSP Shallots thinly diced
- 1 TBSP Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 TBSP Ginger minced
- 6 Medium Beets quartered (~80 g each)
- 1 pinch Sea Salt plus more to taste
- 1 pinch Black Pepper plus more to taste
- 1 ½ Tbsp Green Curry Paste or sub 12 g curry powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Turmeric
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 pinch Ground Cardamom optional
- 1 pinch Ground Coriander optional
- 1 14 oz Coconut Milk Can more for serving
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2-3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Cilantro optional
Tandoori Chickpea Instructions
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C), and Toss to combine, and sample a chickpea.
- add rinsed and dried chickpeas with all ingredients into a mixing bowl
- mix all ingredients thoroughly
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat
- Once hot, add oil, shallots, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add beets, salt and pepper, curry paste, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cardamom and coriander (optional). Stir to coat, then cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, and coconut sugar.
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until beets are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth. If using a blender, return soup back to pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more dry spices, salt, or sweetener to taste. I didn't make any adjustments.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of coconut milk (optional), a generous amount of tandoori chickpea, and a sprinkle of cilantro (optional).